In EYFS, we aim for all of our children to see themselves as players and explorers, active learners and creative and critical thinkers. We provide opportunities for children deeper their understanding and knowledge through a variety of means. We endeavour to inspire a sense of curiosity in our children to develop their enthusiasm through learning, recognising that the skills and knowledge they learn through the EYFS curriculum can be used to have a positive impact on God’s world around them.
EYFS Statement of Implementation:
We use Development Matters/Early Years Outcomes to plan our learning opportunities. We teach using these vehicles:
- Inclusion through teaching for mastery – ensures our children cover the same content through a mastery approach, enabling all children to achieve their true potential through careful support and scaffolding.
- Metacognitive and retrieval opportunities – enables our learner to embed knowledge to become ‘understanding’ and to apply methods of transferring knowledge from children’s working memory to their long term memory.
- Oracy and development of vocabulary– are built across the curriculum to aid metacognition and teaching for mastery.
- Catholic Social Teaching – helping our children be givers rather than takers of society.
- Growth mind-set – helping the children be the very best they can be with high aspirations for themselves and others. This gives them a better awareness of how they learn, the emotions linked to this and the transferable learning skills needed to reach their potential.
- Characteristics of Effective Learning – ensuring that all children are seen and are given the opportunity to be Active Learners, Players and Explorers and Creative and Critical Thinkers.
- Restorative practice – helps our children to develop stronger relationships, and become problem solvers within these so that they are resilient to overcome adversity within their lives.
- Extracurricular opportunities – provides a wide range of additional experiences for the children to inspire them within their learning. This also enables us to seek out and develop the talents in every child. For example; Care Home Link Project, School Trips, Visitors in e.g. Vets, Toast Tuesdays and Wow Days.
Read our EYFS Vision and Intent Curriculum report 2020 in full.