Child and Family Action Workers
Hello, we are Penelope Oliver and Philly Roberts. We are the Child and Family Action Workers (CAFAW) for your school. Essentially, our role is to focus on the emotional well- being of the child. Parents/carers and teachers can make a referral to the CAFAW department if they feel that a child needs a little extra support to cope during a tricky period in their life. We also offer support to parents and carers.
We can help in a number of ways:
- 1:1 bespoke support for individual children
- Sand Play, Drawing and Talking Therapy sessions
- Small group work to boost self-esteem, resilience, encouraging a growth mindset, offering strategies/skills for children to transfer into real life situations.
- Signposting/referring adults or children to other services to help with parenting, housing, domestic abuse, bereavement and mental health difficulties.
- 1:1 parenting support/in house parenting courses
- In house Relax Kids Programme for parents/carers and child to further develop and nurture a close bond.
- Outdoor Learning Programme
- Adult Education
We recognise that because of the day to day contact with children, school staff are well placed to observe the difficulties that children or families may be experiencing as well as outward signs of needing support. The school will therefore:
- Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk, and are listened to.
- Ensure children know that there are adults in the school whom they can approach if they are worried.
- Include opportunities in the PSHCE curriculum for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
- Provide personalised support to individuals and families both within the school through a range of interventions run by our Child And Family Action Workers or through referral to other services within the Local Authority. We are proud to offer a wide range of support in this area.
Please see further information in our Co-ordinated Offer of Early Help.