The Catholic School of St Gregory The Great Believe and Achieve


1. How will the school identify if my child has Special Educational Needs or Disability?


Children may be identified as having Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) through a variety of ways including some of the following:

  • Liaison with Pre-school group/ nursery/ previous school
  • Child performing below age related expectations
  • Concerns raised by Parent/Carer informally or within regular Parent/Teacher Review Meetings
  • Through termly Pupil Progress Meetings held between Teachers and Senior Leaders
  • Concerns raised by the teacher that behaviour or self-esteem is affecting performance
  • Liaison with external agencies e.g. Speech & Language Therapist/ Health Services
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician/doctor


As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against age related expectations. The class teacher continually assesses each child and records progress from their starting points so that they can identify where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry in Early Years Foundation Stage through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods to ensure at least expected progress is being made.

Children who are not making expected progress are identified through our termly Pupil Progress Review meetings between the Class teacher and Senior Leaders.


2. What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities?


Talk to us.  Firstly, contact your child’s class teacher and raise these concerns.  You can also speak with our Inclusion Lead or another member of the Senior Leadership Team.  We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with Parents/Carers.  We are open and honest with Parents/Carers and through this mutual respect and communication we are able to better support your child.  More information can be found on the SEND Information Report (found here) about how each staff member takes responsibility for your child's needs.


3.  How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?


The school uses Parent/Teacher Reviews which are organised to suit Parents/Carers needs, where possible.  These conversations emphasise the need for a listening approach between Parents/Carers and school where Parents/Carers can share their child’s interests and experiences allowing us to incorporate this into the classroom.  Individual targets are agreed with Parents/Carers to support their child and they are given strategies that will help them.   This is then reviewed at the following meeting.  Levels of attainments and details of any interventions and targets are shared with parents. We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher, Inclusion Lead, Head teacher or another member of the Senior Leadership Team to discuss any concerns you may have about your child’s progress . We can offer advice and practical ways to support you in helping your child at home.  This is often done through the many workshops and open sessions we hold throughout the school which are designed to constantly inform you about teaching methods, expectations and ideas about how you can support your child's progress at home.


4.  What happens when my child needs help?


The school follows the graduated pathway from more general support to very specialist support for more complex or specific needs.  More information about this can be found here and the documents is called "Waves of intervention - Graduated Pathway".


It is not unusual for children to need support from different specialists both within and outside of the school.  The Inclusion Department's role is to ensure all children have full access to the curriculum despite any needs they may have.  For this reason, the areas of the department work closely together.  They include Learning Support, Pastoral Support and Spiritual Support.  They also liaise closely with specialists in the areas of Physical Support and Support for those who speak English as an Additional Language (EAL).


  • More information about EAL support can be found here.
  • More information about Pastoral Support can be found here.
  • More information about Spiritual Support can be found here.


5. What happens if my child needs medicines when in school?


The school has a policy regarding the administration and management of medicines on the school site. Parents need to contact the School Office to discuss this and if it is agreed that we can administer medication, they should complete a form: ‘Parental Agreement for School to Administer Medicines’. This may include medicines for life threatening conditions or medication required for a long term illness such as asthma or diabetes.  In such cases a ‘Care Plan’ is put in place in liaison with the School Nurse.


  • No medication can be brought onto the school premises without prior consent from the School Office.
  • The School may agree to administer prescribed medicines which will be considered on a case by case basis following discussions with Parents/Carers and with written consent.
  • School staff have a range of training in medicine administration such as: Epi-pens, asthma inhalers and insulin.
  • The Policy for Administration of Medication in Schools can be found here.


6. What recent SEND training have staff had?


Our Inclusion Lead and Head Teacher have both achieved the National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators.


Staff have had training in supporting pupils with;

  • Autistic Spectrum Difficulties,
  • Cerebral Palsy,
  • Dyslexia,
  • Dyscalculia,
  • Dyspraxia,
  • Attachment Difficulties and Managing Pupils with Behavioural and Emotional Difficulties.  
  • Staff are regularly trained in Safeguarding and Equality.


7. How accessible is the school environment?


We carry out accessibility audits at regular intervals to ensure we make as many reasonable adjustments to our school site as possible to ensure it is safe and accessible to the members of our community.  The full audit and policy relating to accessibility can be found here.


8. What are the Arrangements For The Admission Of Pupils With Disabilities


The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 defines a disabled person as one who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Most children with Special Needs will not be disabled within the meaning of the Act. The admission of pupils with disabilities is considered in the first instance in the same way as non-disabled pupils. Further considerations are made in the light of need and accessibility. It is the Governors Policy to accommodate pupils with disabilities should parents wish and individual needs are planned for to prevent any pupils being treated less favourably than other pupils. In practice we ensure that classroom and extra-curricular activities encourage the participation of all pupils, including those who have Special Educational Needs or a disability. Our Equality policy and SEND policy can be found here.


9. What do i do if i have a complaints


We welcome open dialogue with parents and in the first instance always talk to the child's class teacher, then their Phase Leader.  They will often involve the Inclusion Manager at this point.  If you feel that you would prefer to speak directly to the Inclusion Manager, please feel free to do so.


In the event of any complaints, please follow the school complaints procedure.  Our Complaints Policy can be found here.


Useful Information