In music, we aim for all of our children to see themselves as musicians. We endeavour to inspire a sense of curiosity in our children and develop their enthusiasm for music, recognising that the skills and knowledge they learn through music can be used to have a positive impact on God’s world around them.
Music Statement of Implementation:
We follow the National Programme of Study for music 2014. We teach The National Curriculum through these vehicles:
- Inclusion through teaching for mastery – ensures our children cover the same content through a mastery approach, enabling all children to achieve their true potential through careful support and scaffolding.
- Metacognitive and retrieval opportunities – enables our learner to embed knowledge to become ‘understanding’ and to apply methods of transferring knowledge from children’s working memory to their long term memory.
- Oracy, vocabulary and reading for pleasure – are built across the curriculum to aid metacognition and teaching for mastery. (Appendix 1 – progression of vocabulary document)
- Catholic Social Teaching – helping our children be givers rather than takers of society.
- Growth mind-set – helping the children be the very best they can be with high aspirations for themselves and others. This gives them a better awareness of how they learn, the emotions linked to this and the transferable learning skills needed to reach their potential.
- Restorative practice – helps our children to develop stronger relationships, and become problem solvers within these so that they are resilient to overcome adversity within their lives.
- Extracurricular opportunities – provides a wide range of additional experiences to inspire the children within their learning. This also enables us to seek out and develop the talents in every child. Examples include attending concerts and workshops at The Cheltenham International Festival of Music, clubs, singing and performing in hymn practice, assemblies and mass, performing in the wider community (carol singing), EYFS and Infant nativity, KS2 Carols by Candlelight and the Year 6 end of year production.
Read our Music Subject Vision and Intent Curriculum report 2020 in full.