Y5 Preparation & Transition
What do we hope children can do as learners before Y5?
- Start to have a longer attention span.
- Become more interested in the world around them and find out how things work.
- Start to deal with frustrations and conflicts in a more mature way
- Develop more self-control, being able to recover from mood swings or outbursts more quickly
- Punctuate sentences accurately, without prompting, with full stop and capital letter as a minimum
- Remember homework, PE kit, swimming kit and water bottles on correct day, without support from parents
- Support and encourage classmates, showing respect to others
- Begin to show resilience in challenging situations
- Actively participate in all lessons.
What will Year 5 be learning this year?
Our topics this year are:
- Autumn Term – What did the Greeks do for us? Core text – The Girl of Ink and Stars
- Spring Term – Rivers and Flooding. Core text – Journey to the River Sea
- Summer Term – Invaders & Settlers. Core text – Horrible Histories Smashing Saxons
Which days will Year 5 have PE?
Will my child be going on any trips this year?
- Waitrose – tbc
- Literature Festival – 8th October 2019
- Science Festival - June 2020
- Kingswood – 21st - 23rd October 2019
- Bishopswood – May 2020
- Space Dome – Thursday 5th September 2019
- Skillszone – 24th September 2019