The formation of The Catholic School of St Gregory the Great is rooted in the Benedictine values of its founder, Dom John Augustine Birdsall O.S.B. who opened a Catholic charity school for the poor of Cheltenham in 1827. By 1857 the school had 150 pupils and in 1936 the school moved to its current location. It has grown in size since relocating to Knapp Road, adapting through the years to best suit the pastoral and academic needs of our children and families. The most recent additions to our school site are our Eco Hub and our Pastoral Hub, both being fully utilised daily to enhance the education of our children.
|The Catholic School of Saint Gregory the Great on Knapp Road - 1937|
|First known picture of the school - 1909||Dom. John Augustine Birdsall O.S.B.||Mr Gleason Football Team|
Our School Vision has been cultivated and embedded in four of the values of our Benedictine founders and is lived out by all members of our school community, every day.
These four foundation values, echoing the principles of Catholic Social Teaching and held in high regard by our patron, Saint Gregory the Great, can be traced back to the reason for the formation of our school in 1827: to welcome, care for and provide for those in need. The values of Community, Hospitality, Dignity of Work and Justice are just as relevant to our school and our community today, as we live out our faith and grow as members of our school family and the family of God.
Our School Vision also includes what we would like a learner at The Catholic School of St Gregory the Great to be and so we work towards acquiring our school Learner Values.
Learn a little more about our 4 school Values and see how we link these to our Learner Values, bonding our beliefs with what we want to achieve.