Y4 Preparation & Transition
View our Transition Year 4 2022-23 document.
Upon entering Year 4, we hope that the children will be able to…
- Become increasingly independent and wish to become more involved with school, hobbies, sporting activities and friendships
- Have well-developed coordination and be keen to show off physical abilities
- Be able to take turns and play cooperatively
- Be keen to form strong bonds with others and be supportive of classmates
- Possibly begin to take life more seriously and may begin to worry more
- Gain a sense of competition in themselves or others
- Begin a task independently
- Use DUMTUMS – Write own date and WALT
- Be able to tidy classroom after themselves
- Be responsible for organising themselves ready for lessons and looking after their belongings
- Work cooperatively in a group
- Build on or challenge the views of others
- Write continuously for 30 minutes
- Tie shoelaces
- Write in cursive script, presenting work neatly
During Year 4 we hope that the children will be able to…
- Begin to get a sense of their own place in the world and develop stronger interests and opinions of their own
- Carry on longer conversations and use more sophisticated language.
- Focus less on themselves and be able to empathise with others.
- Probably have friends of the same gender, but mix with the opposite sex more.
- Become more alert regarding what others think about them.
- Become more modest about their bodies
- Punctuate sentences accurately with full stop and capital letter as a minimum
- Read regularly and be able to discuss what they have read.
- Use problem solving skills to think through situations for themselves more independently, e.g. no paper, pencil - go and get them
- Take initiative to challenge themselves further
- Take responsibility for actions
- Support and encourage their classmates
What will Year 4 be learning this year?
|Terms 1 & 2||Terms 3 & 4||Terms 5 & 6|
|The Ancient Egyptians||The Radical Romans ||"The Abominables" -|
- PE Kits; please make sure your child has the correct coloured t-shirt representing their house team.
- PE kits will need to be in school at all times.
- PE kits will be sent home at the end of each term for washing, please ensure it is sent back into school on the first day of the new term.
Will my child be going on any trips this year?
There are lots of exciting trips and activities to look forward to and enjoy in Year 4. Below are some of the trips we would like to go on next year…
- Swimming lessons
- Literature Festival
- Science Festival
- Topic Wow Days
- External educational visits (Chedworth Roman Villa)
- Can my child bring in a toy?
Please ensure no toys or other belongings come into school.
- What formal tests will Y4 sit?
Optional SATS in May and Times Table Check in June.
- What homework will Y4 receive?
Homework is set and given out on a Friday – due in the following Thursday. Spelling test on Friday.